can't watch it yet
packrat
2005-08-23 21:28:21 UTC
I don't want to, I know it will get to me too much.
Ed
2005-08-23 23:16:01 UTC
You don't know what you are missing, especially the last 15 minutes.

Ed
tigercat
2005-08-24 01:51:04 UTC
well, if and when u think u can handle it, check it out. only the last 10
minutes are emotional, but they're intense. i know several people who
experienced personal loss and cried thru the last 10 minutes, but they're
all okay, just have some tissues nearby. Of course, experiencing personal
loss is not a prerequisite to crying during this brilliant finale.

good luck and take care whatever u decide.
Samgeyser
2005-08-24 05:13:24 UTC
take it in... as mentioned in this post, I have recently lost someone so
very close to me... suddenly. There were no goodbyes... and seeing this last
show made me cry and smile.. knowing they all, well most anyway, had a
chance to say goodbye.

My life has changed... so I must be growing.

My best to you...and watch this show!

Rick
packrat
2005-08-25 05:22:38 UTC
I watched it tonight and bawled all through it. I'll miss the show so much.
I hate endings. The scenes with Ruth really hit me hard, harder than all
the others. I see her as a woman wanting happiness and companionship and
loving her children more than life itself, but never quite making any of it
work like she wanted, thus living an unfulfilled life. Yet she tried so
hard, yet never quite could achieve it.
dejablues
2005-08-25 12:40:45 UTC
Post by packrat
I watched it tonight and bawled all through it. I'll miss the show so much.
I hate endings. The scenes with Ruth really hit me hard, harder than all
the others. I see her as a woman wanting happiness and companionship and
loving her children more than life itself, but never quite making any of it
work like she wanted, thus living an unfulfilled life. Yet she tried so
hard, yet never quite could achieve it.
That was *so* not what happened to Ruth! She died at a very old age with
George, David, and Claire at her side, after many years of running a
dog-sitting business with Bettina.
The final show was all about the characters moving on and finding peace.
Just goes to show how we see it all through our own filters, eh?
w***@gmail.com
2005-08-25 14:32:57 UTC
I wouldn't call late 70's very old age.
Tina
2005-08-25 15:58:05 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
I wouldn't call late 70's very old age.
With a father dead of cancer at 59 and a mother dead at 67 of diabetes, I
would. :)

Tina
notherenow
2005-08-25 19:19:45 UTC
Post by Tina
Post by w***@gmail.com
I wouldn't call late 70's very old age.
With a father dead of cancer at 59 and a mother dead at 67 of diabetes, I
would. :)
Tina
Good point, indeed. Can't make a hard and vast rule on what is old
anymore. With a 90 year old father who just retired this month, I've
gotten to think 70 is the new 50.... at least 15 years away from
retirement.
Tina
2005-08-26 00:45:51 UTC
Post by notherenow
Post by Tina
Post by w***@gmail.com
I wouldn't call late 70's very old age.
With a father dead of cancer at 59 and a mother dead at 67 of diabetes, I
would. :)
Tina
Good point, indeed. Can't make a hard and vast rule on what is old
anymore. With a 90 year old father who just retired this month, I've
gotten to think 70 is the new 50.... at least 15 years away from
retirement.
Well, my boyfriend's parents are 84 and 88 respectively...and still going
strong. I think your numbers are correct these days. :)

Tina
Patrick
2005-08-26 01:11:25 UTC
Post by notherenow
Good point, indeed. Can't make a hard and vast rule on what is old
anymore. With a 90 year old father who just retired this month, I've
gotten to think 70 is the new 50.... at least 15 years away from
retirement.
The older I get, the farther back I push what's "old." I'm not too crazy
about the fact that, realistically, I've got more years behind me than I
have left to me.
!! (Kira Dirlik)
2005-08-26 20:28:33 UTC
Post by Patrick
The older I get, the farther back I push what's "old." I'm not too crazy
about the fact that, realistically, I've got more years behind me than I
have left to me.
I hear ya there! I'm middle aged now. I'm gonna live to be 132!
Kira
b or t k-c
2005-08-27 02:33:50 UTC
... I'm gonna live to be 132!
Not exactly a "spring chicken", either way. If "80 is the new 60", that'll
make you either 112 or 100+/-, depending on how you interpret the concept.

Kira
Rivergoat
2005-08-27 02:59:07 UTC
I lost my father when he was 46...Ruth was ancient by comparison.

I just watch the ep again....even more intense the 3rd time around, I
am continually astounded by the brilliance of this program....
Tina
Sparky Spartacus
2005-08-27 11:24:39 UTC
Coincidence, my dad was 46 as well when he died. How old were you?
Rivergoat
2005-08-27 14:13:27 UTC
I was seven.
Sparky Spartacus
Wow, young. I was 15.
notherenow
2005-08-27 15:31:26 UTC
Can I play? My mom was 49 and I was 11.
PattyC
2005-08-28 01:10:36 UTC
Post by notherenow
Post by Sparky Spartacus
Post by Rivergoat
I lost my father when he was 46...Ruth was ancient by comparison.
Coincidence, my dad was 46 as well when he died. How old were you?
Can I play? My mom was 49 and I was 11.
My dad was 36 and I was 7. AND I have a small business...

PattyC
Sparky Spartacus
So I guess you win. ;)
packrat
2005-08-25 17:26:31 UTC
Post by packrat
work like she wanted, thus living an unfulfilled life. Yet she tried so
hard, yet never quite could achieve it.
That was *so* not what happened to Ruth! She died at a very old age with
George, David, and Claire at her side, after many years of running a
dog-sitting business with Bettina.
The final show was all about the characters moving on and finding peace.
Just goes to show how we see it all through our own filters, eh?
You're right about being fulfilled and at peace at the end. Guess I just
relate too well to her life as it was while the series was going and focused
on that. Being a bit too introspective about the whole thing. Thanks for
that, I know, it's only a show, but always wanted her to be happy.

It's only a show, It's only a show........I'll miss it though
tigercat
2005-08-25 15:05:00 UTC
it's hard for me to imagine anyone "not" crying during the final ep. i
think part of the ruth character personifies how sometimes we "think" we're
unhappy or missing something, while not recognizing or appreciating all the
family and friends right in front of us - perhaps until it's too late and
they're gone - and then we "really" understand the meaning of loss. but
ruth, like all of us, experiences ups and downs, as life visits upon
everyone. in the end, ruth dying in her own bed, with loving family and
friends at her side, is one of the more blessed ways to go. we should all
be so lucky.
Patricia Butler
2005-08-27 13:43:50 UTC
Post by packrat
I watched it tonight and bawled all through it. I'll miss the show so much.
I hate endings. The scenes with Ruth really hit me hard, harder than all
the others. I see her as a woman wanting happiness and companionship and
loving her children more than life itself, but never quite making any of it
work like she wanted, thus living an unfulfilled life. Yet she tried so
hard, yet never quite could achieve it.
I don't know. I thought her life seemed mighty "fulfilled" in the end.
And she had what most folks would consider the perfect death, very old
and surrounded by people who loved her (though to be really perfect it
should've taken place at home in her own bed).
Sparky Spartacus
2005-08-28 07:50:10 UTC
Post by Patricia Butler
Post by packrat
I watched it tonight and bawled all through it. I'll miss the show so much.
I hate endings. The scenes with Ruth really hit me hard, harder than all
the others. I see her as a woman wanting happiness and companionship and
loving her children more than life itself, but never quite making any of it
work like she wanted, thus living an unfulfilled life. Yet she tried so
hard, yet never quite could achieve it.
I don't know. I thought her life seemed mighty "fulfilled" in the end.
And she had what most folks would consider the perfect death, very old
and surrounded by people who loved her (though to be really perfect it
should've taken place at home in her own bed).
But we didn't see the intervening years, which might have been filled
with illness, strife, involuntary hospitalizations, etc.

tracert
2005-08-24 14:57:15 UTC
Post by packrat
I don't want to, I know it will get to me too much.
Watch it. You will feel better about living.